Identity and Inclusion
No matter who you are or where you’re from, Wright State University is excited to support you in your decision to go abroad. We are committed to providing students of underrepresented identities and diversities the benefits and opportunities that come with global education exchanges.______________________________________________________________________________________
General External Resources :
- USAC’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Study Abroad Resources
- Country-specific diversity resources for: race, ethnicity, and national identity, gender & sexuality, religion & spirituality, disability resources & mental health support, dietary concerns, and more.
- OSAC Report: Traveling with Medication
Recommended next steps:
- Meet with a Study Abroad Advisor!
2. Do research on the countries and cultures before settling on a program.
You may find that a certain destination abroad can be more open about your identity than in the US, or that you may need to be very careful to avoid cultural ostracism. Understanding this will help you decide where you would, or would not, want to study. In order to have a rewarding and safe experience, you will benefit from researching the country you will be visiting. Educate yourself about specific laws and issues as they vary by region. If you are unable to find information regarding your country of choice or your identity, please let us know. We can contact our insurance partners (International SOS) for guidance. Study abroad advisors can also help you get connected with advisors and alumni from the program(s) you are interested in, to ask about their experiences.
3. Look for in-country support organizations.
Do an online search to see if your country/city has support organizations for your identity. Always put your safety first, and find a support network while you are abroad. If you experience difficulties, you should contact your program staff immediately.
The University Center for International Education (UCIE) is here to support you throughout your study abroad journey – before, during, and after you return. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email at email@example.com, via phone at 937-775-5745, or come into our office in 334 Student Union.