Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Okayama, Japan
  • Program Terms: Fall, Spring, Summer
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring 2022 10/01/2021 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Summer 2022 04/01/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2022 05/02/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Fact Sheet:
Fact Sheet:
UCIE Program Coordinator: Monica Ratliff Program: Exchange
Program Type: Internship Abroad Supporting Department: Liberal Arts
Eligibility Restrictions: Yes Language Prerequisite: No
Credit Hours: Apartment (Shared) Visa Reqirement: Yes
Payment 1: Application Fee: 100
Program Description:



Program Description:

 So you are interested in the TESOL Internship in Japan? If you are one of the four interns selected each year for this unique experience, there are a few things you should know that will make your preparations easier. Your perspective, perhaps even your life, will be changed by this encounter with a culture, people, and language that are almost certainly different from anything that you have encountered before.
 The first thing you need to know is that advanced planning is necessary. There are some TESOL classes required for participation in this program. You will also need to plan your academic schedule through the completion of your degree while factoring in the Japan program. This will assist you in determining whether to take part in the fall/winter or spring/summer internship. Also, keep in mind that it will take at least two months to process your paperwork through immigration for your visa.

It is important to remember that the primary reason interns go to Japan is to serve as a teacher. This will, in most cases, be an enjoyable experience. However, it is a job and interns are expected to act accordingly. Participants need to be punctual, prepared for their classroom work, and dressed appropriately.

 In the Internship Program, interns assist in teaching English as a foreign language in selected courses. For other courses, they develop syllabi and lesson plans, teach the lessons themselves, and create and grade assessment measures on their own.

The job may vary according to the actual level and type of classes that are taught. Past interns have taught an array of classes, ranging from pre-school, elementary, and junior high, and high school courses to healthcare worker, vocational, college, and adult/community-center courses.  The actual schedule will vary from 10 to 20 work hours a week depending on the needs of the OUS International Office. Each intern will have a different schedule.

 The intern is paid a stipend of 180,000 yen a month from which 40,000 yen is deducted for monthly rent, including utilities (except phone).  Interns are housed in the International House at the foot of the hill leading up to OUS. The apartment is a 20 minute bike ride from Okayama Station.

 The year is separated into two semesters with two interns each semester. The first semester starts around the beginning of April and ends around July/beginning August. The second semester starts around the beginning of September and ends early-March the following year.
[Return to top]

Academic Course Information:

 Students can count this internship towards their TESOL degree be registering for a Wright State course.
Please see Chris Hall for more information.
[Return to top]
 Japan TESOL 2

Meals and Accommodations:

 Interns will stay in a shared apartment located near the schools where they will teach English to Japanese students.
[Return to top]


Students must meet with Chris Hall and be nominated in order to be approved for this internship.
Phone: 937-775-2268

While interns do not have to be English majors to participate in this program, they are going to Japan to teach English, so it is expected that they have a basic knowledge of English and know effective ways to teach the English language. A minimum of three TESOL-related courses are required. The three courses must be approved by the Director of TESOL Programs at Wright State. These courses provide the intern with a foundation in understanding the English language system and pedagogical skills needed to teach English in a foreign language setting.
[Return to top]

Before You Leave:

Students will be required by the University Center for International Education (UCIE) to complete a mandatory pre-departure orientation a few weeks before departure.

Students must also be sure they have submitted all necessary documents and payments to the UCIE.
[Return to top]

Getting There:

Students will be responsible for purchasing their own tickets to and from their study abroad location. Please be sure to check with your program in order to know what dates you need to arrive and depart.

Students may purchase tickets however they choose. STA travel Student and Universe Travel are two travel agencies that we recommend.
[Return to top]

Program Costs:

A non-refundable application fee of $100 is due at the time of application.

Students will pay Wright State tuition for the courses they take abroad.

Students will also be responsible for housing, meals, airfare, as well as any extra travel expenses.
*Students will also need to purchase Wallach Health Insurance before departing for Japan. 
[Return to top]

Affording the Program:

WSU financial aid might be applicable to your chosen program.  To learn more about your specific financial aid options you should contact to make an appointment with the financial aid advisor.

Click here to learn about other Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunities.

Many students reach out to family, friends, and community and religious organizations for support.  Some choose to create an online funding site, others send out letters requesting support.
[Return to top]

Passports and Visas:

A valid passport is required for all international travel. Its best to apply for a passport now as processing times may vary. The UCIE is an official US Passport Center and we can help you with your photo and passport processing needs.  See here for more information.

Some study abroad destinations will require you to obtain a visa.  A visa is permission given to you by your host country to allow you to enter the country for a specific amount of time.  In order to obtain country-specific visa instructions and resources, refer to your host country’s embassy web page. One way to access this information is via the US Department of State’s webpage.

The UCIE is happy to guide you to possible resources about visas for study abroad. Although, applying for the necessary visa for travel is the responsibility of the individual traveler. Entry requirements change frequently and we advise you to pay close attention to consular updates. It is your responsibility to know and address the requirements for your host study abroad destination.
[Return to top]

Health and Safety:

WSU is committed to student and faculty safety while abroad. The following are a few resources for travel abroad.

WSU faculty, students and staff are responsible for their own health and safety abroad. Please consider reviewing the following sites for further information:
US Department of State
US Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC)
International SOS ( for medical and security advice. WSU membership #: 11BSGC000054

Before travel WSU students, faculty and staff can utilize International SOS in several ways including:
  • Read about travel health information with medical advice, food and water safety, and cultural tips
  • Explore travel security with personal safety tips and travel risk ratings for locations abroad
  • Get advice on how to travel with your medication
  • Sign up to receive email alerts for medical and security information, customizable to various locations abroad

WSU faculty, students and staff traveling abroad should register their travel abroad through the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)   in case of an emergency abroad.

Students are required to purchase the Wallach Travel Insurance for exchange programs that do not offer built-in insurance options.
[Return to top]

Contacts and More Information:

University Center for International Education (UCIE)

Program Coordinator:

Monica Ratliff
Education Abroad Coordinator
[Return to top]

Program Ratings:
Overall Experience:
1 2 3 4 5
Program Value:
1 2 3 4 5
Academic Experiences:
1 2 3 4
Cultural Experiences:
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
Overall Learning:
1 2 3 4