Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Full Calendar Year, Spring
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring 2022 10/01/2021 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Academic Year 2022-2023 04/01/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2022 05/02/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Fact Sheet:
Fact Sheet:
UCIE Program Coordinator: Monica Ratliff Program: Exchange
Program Type: Study Abroad GPA (Minimum Requirement): 3.0
Language Prerequisite: No Language of Instruction: Chinese, English
Language Courses Offered: Yes Credit Hours: Apartment (Shared), Dormitory
Payment 1: Application Fee: 100
Program Description:


Xian China

Program Description:

  Students have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester in China at Shaanxi Normal University and take Chinese language and culture courses. 

Founded in 1944, Shaanxi Normal University, known as the “Cradle of Teachers” in Northwest China, is directly administered by the Ministry of Education of China and under the construction plan of China’s national “211 Project." The University currently has more than 2800 faculty and staff members, including 1620 full-time teachers. Among the full-time teachers, 88% of them have doctoral or master degrees, specifically 61% of them are doctoral degree holders. There are more than 17800 full-time students of undergraduate levels and 12000 full-time students of postgraduate levels, more than 1000 are international students.
[Return to top]

Academic Course Information:

  Students will select from a variety of Chinese language and culture classes during the application process and must have them approved by their academic advisor.
[Return to top]

Meals and Accommodations:

 1. Qixiayuan Hotel (Foreign Affairs Service Center)
Qixiayuan Hotel (Foreign Affairs Service Center) is a 3-star hotel located within the Yanta campus. Students may stay there for favorable rates, and are required to pay monthly and pay a 30-day deposit of RMB 1200 yuan at the rate of RMB40/day/bed when checking in. When checking out, the rent is re-calculated according to the actual length of stay (RMB 40 yuan /day/bed or 80 yuan /day/room for in twin-bed room for staying for full semester or longer, or RMB 90 yuan /day/bed or 180 yuan /day/room for shorter stay). Please ask for a copy of the Hotel Registration Note from the Front Desk, which copy is required for visa extension.

2. Tian Tan Xuan Dormitory
Tian Tan Xuan Dormitory is an independent yard with about 40 rooms exclusively for international students. The rooms are furnitured with 4 beds, Air-conditioner, Internet Access, Wardrobe and Desks. You can live with one roommate and live with three roommates. The cost is different. If you choose to live with one roommate, the cost is 2600yuan/person/semester or 4800yuan/person/year. If you choose to live with 3 roommates,
the cost is 1400 yuan/person/semester or 2500 yuan/person/year.

3. Living outside campus
You may move out of Qixiayuan to rent / share an off-campus apartment/flat at the nearby residential communities through local real estate agents, but the university does not provide this service. You should take your lease contract and passport to register and obtain the “Registration Form of Temporary Residence” at the local police station supervising the area of your current address (the local one supervising the area of our university is the Ming De Men Police Station, at the entrance of Xi Ba Li Cun along Chang’an Nan lu. If you live beyond this area, you may find the local police station to get your residence registered). You must present a copy of the Form to the ISO for registration and another copy is required for visa extension. Any change in residence must be registered again at the local police station and the ISO, or you will be fined by the police.

Dining in Campus
You can eat at the Chinese Cuisine and Western Restaurant of Qixiayuan Hotel, whether or not you are staying in it. You may also eat at the several Students Canteens (Dining Halls) on campus (including a Moslem canteen), where you will need a Campus Card. We will make campus cards for the new students when you register at the beginning of the semester. You need pay us 20 yuan for making the campus card which we will give to the Campus Card Center. Normally, you will get the card one week after you pay the 20. After you get the card, you need to deposit some money at the window at the southwest corner of 1st floor of Xuezi Canteen (XueZi ShiFu) as prepayment in order to buy food. Of course there are many restaurants around the campus for you to choose from.
[Return to top]
 Xian China 2


  Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
[Return to top]

Before You Leave:

Students will be required by the University Center for International Education (UCIE) to complete a mandatory pre-departure orientation a few weeks before departure.

Students must also be sure they have submitted all necessary documents and payments to the UCIE.

Students must be sure to submit their proposed course sheet to their study abroad advisor before departure if they plan to receive academic credit for their courses.
[Return to top]

Getting There:

Students will be responsible for purchasing their own tickets to and from their study abroad location. Please be sure to check with your program in order to know what dates you need to arrive and depart.

Students may purchase tickets however they choose. STA travel Student and Universe Travel are two travel agencies that we recommend.
[Return to top]

Program Costs:

A non-refundable application fee of $100 is due at the time of application.

Students will pay Wright State tuition for the courses they take abroad.

Students will also be responsible for housing, meals, airfare, as well as any extra travel expenses.
[Return to top]

Affording the Program:

WSU financial aid might be applicable to your chosen program.  To learn more about your specific financial aid options you should contact to make an appointment with the financial aid advisor.

Click here to learn about other Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunities.

Many students reach out to family, friends, and community and religious organizations for support.  Some choose to create an online funding site, others send out letters requesting support.
[Return to top]

Passports and Visas:

A valid passport is required for all international travel. Its best to apply for a passport now as processing times may vary. The UCIE is an official US Passport Center and we can help you with your photo and passport processing needs.  See here for more information.

Some study abroad destinations will require you to obtain a visa.  A visa is permission given to you by your host country to allow you to enter the country for a specific amount of time.  In order to obtain country-specific visa instructions and resources, refer to your host country’s embassy web page. One way to access this information is via the US Department of State’s webpage.

The UCIE is happy to guide you to possible resources about visas for study abroad. Although, applying for the necessary visa for travel is the responsibility of the individual traveler. Entry requirements change frequently and we advise you to pay close attention to consular updates. It is your responsibility to know and address the requirements for your host study abroad destination.
[Return to top]

Health and Safety:

WSU is committed to student and faculty safety while abroad. The following are a few resources for travel abroad.

WSU faculty, students and staff are responsible for their own health and safety abroad. Please consider reviewing the following sites for further information:
US Department of State
US Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC)
International SOS ( for medical and security advice. WSU membership #: 11BSGC000054

Before travel WSU students, faculty and staff can utilize International SOS in several ways including:
  • Read about travel health information with medical advice, food and water safety, and cultural tips
  • Explore travel security with personal safety tips and travel risk ratings for locations abroad
  • Get advice on how to travel with your medication
  • Sign up to receive email alerts for medical and security information, customizable to various locations abroad

WSU faculty, students and staff traveling abroad should register their travel abroad through the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)   in case of an emergency abroad.

Students are required to purchase the Wallach Travel Insurance for exchange programs that do not offer built-in insurance options.
[Return to top]

Contacts and More Information:

University Center for International Education (UCIE)

Program Coordinator:

Monica Ratliff
Education Abroad Coordinator
[Return to top]